Friday, July 16, 2010

Grace's phone falls to sudden, tragic death



NEWARK -- A single-hinged black cellular device - otherwise known as “My Phone” - came to a tragic, silent death this morning after plunging three feet from Grace’s desk at The Star Ledger office in Newark, New Jersey.

For several months, the enV2 flip-phone was literally “hanging on” for dear life after a violent tug-a-war between Grace and an anonymous Sri Lankan left the device with only one hinge.

Despite repeated offers from her dad to replace the phone, Grace kept “My Phone”, hoping it would make it through the rest of the summer.

“I only have a month or so left before I leave for Indonesia, why bother replacing it now?” Grace remembered telling her Dad.

But Grace’s dream of sharing the summer with the 2008 phone came to an abrupt end when at approximately 10:12 a.m., Grace knocked the phone off her desk with one swipe of her right hand.

“I was reaching for the computer mouse… and then I saw if fall,” Grace said recalling the life-changing moment, “It fell without hardly a sound. I was shocked when I saw my phone laying there in two pieces.”

The phone had landed on carpeted floor under Grace’s desk, but experts say that months of opening and closing the device had worn away the single hinge which for months, had held the phone together.

“My initial reaction was- shoot, how will I know what’s for dinner?” said Grace who had been hoping to text her mother later that day.

The phone, which Grace has owned since the summer of 2009 was filled with hundreds of photos, saved text messages, and contacts, when it came to its sudden death.

“My Phone” is survived by its caretaker, Grace C, age 21, and enV3- "My New Phone"- which Grace will be using until she leaves for Indonesia.

Grace's number will remain unchanged.

2 comments:

Bri said...

Super cute. RIP "My Phone".

Unknown said...

wow. so normally, I hate those 'lost my number AGAIN!' groups, even though I'm super guilty of losing/breaking my phone.. but this was so engaging! Ive never felt more for a broken phone than I did your little guy.

good works.